We are seeking a Clinician – Animal Assisted Therapy to join the wonderful Irabina team!
- You love working with kids and inspiring the community
- Recognize the unique needs of kids with autism and their families
- Experience world-class autism services which are designed to support the whole family, and create a community to nurture your child’s development.
- Transform the future for kids with autism
- Get excited about the possibility of working in a supportive multi – disciplinary team
- Work in a dynamic workplace where you can develop and enhance your skills as an Occupational Therapist
Irabina is at the cutting edge of service delivery for autistic kids and young people. We are the largest autism centre in Australia and offer state-of-the-art, evidence-based assessment, intervention, training and research. And we advocate for children and young people with Autism.
We believe that our staff at Irabina are as unique and special the kids and young people that we provide support for. It’s our ability to attract talented and committed people that will dictate our ability to change the lives of young people with Autism and their families and transform autism for future generations.
We know that to excel professionally, you need to be taken care of personally, and we promise an environment and experience that delivers on both. This is also a promise to our families to attract, retain and surround them with a leading staff that feels valued, supported and excited to come to work.
WHY WORK WITH US?
- We come to work and change the lives of young people and their families.
- We run market leading, innovative programs, that no other austism centre in Australia runs.
- We provide a setting where you will feel supported, and have access to some the most specialised support network available.
- We are a team that enjoys having fun whilst working and have awesome team bonding events on a regular basis.
- We are a highly respected and established team, where you will be treated as an equal and be respected, regardless of the amount of experience that you come with.
- In working with us, you will be provided with guidance and structure. Mentoring and professional development will also be provided.
- A great work / life balance is also provided, own your calendar and dictate when you work.
The role is to assume the role of Clinician – Animal Assisted Therapy in a trans-disciplinary team of professionals committed to family-centered practice. The role is both profession specific and one of skilled animal assisted therapist. The role requires the therapist to facilitate the progression of our animal assisted therapy program, and to develop the role of our animal assistant therapy dog ‘Muffin.’
The therapist will work with Muffin and Irabina’s clients. Working within our small group programs may also occur from time to time.
This role requires a strong understanding of the principles of animal assisted therapy. If formal training has not been undertaken, Irabina will support the right candidate to complete goal and therapeutic focused training with a designated training organisation.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Appropriate Clinical qualification with current relevant registration
- Strong understanding of the principles of animal assisted therapy and experience working in this context
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience in paediatric therapy service provision
- Implementation of principles of, and dedication to evidence-based practice
- Implementation of the principles of family centered practice
- Willing to undertake formal training in animal assisted therapy if training has not already been undertaken
- Must be able to lift up to 25 kilos.
- Must be able to assume and maintain a variety of postures (kneeling, squatting, crawling, sitting, standing) for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to sit on the floor or stand for extended periods of time.
- Must have manual dexterity to perform specific computer and electronic device functions for data collection.
- Must be physically present at the assigned job location, which may include schools, and community placements.
- Must be able to receive detailed information through oral communication.
- Must have reliable transportation and be willing and able to travel between different job sites within the Melbourne Metropolitan Area.
Conditions of Employment:
- To be employed under the relevant Award used by Irabina
- Agreement to be checked against the Disability Worker Exclusion Scheme
- Current driver’s license
- Current Working with Children’s Check
- Current Police Record check
- Participation in Performance Review Procedures and all other quality improvement initiatives implemented by Irabina Autism Services
- Commitment to Irabina’s Mission, Vision and Values as stated at the beginning of this document
We look forward to hearing from you!